Tomb Raider

Going in: I've read a couple reviews. I'm not expecting the next Indiana Jones, but I'm expecting a good time. Probably a 7 and a 7.

Popcorn: 7/10. If someone wanted to see it, I'd watch it again. It was a good amount of fun. I'll probably rent it.
Art: 6.5/10. I would categorize this as a popcorn flick and not a lot of art. That said, it was a good popcorn flick and I don't think the art score is a good reflection of the enjoyment of the movie.
Acting: 2/3. I really like Vikander as Lara Croft. Tonally, she's more Harrison Ford than Angelina Jolie. The villain was really good too but he didn't have much of a chance to shine.

Music: 1/2. It was just standard musical fare. I would say it was really done in the tense parts in the third act, but it wasn't very thematic.

Cinematography: 1/2. I didn't see much where the DP had any chance to shine with perhaps the shots in Hong Kong. The boats were beautiful.

Art Department: 1/2. I didn't see anything that was truly "great". There were some costume nods towards the end.

Editing: 1/2. This is always difficult. I wasn't taken out of the movie, but I didn't see anything that really made me think "wow". Then again, I didn't even check my watch.

Story: 3/4. I had a hard time seeing any consistent theme. The B-plots didn't really have any depth for me. They weren't bad, they just weren't amazing. I liked this version of Croft - smart on her own merit, not a superhero and I got the feeling she won out of desperation and grit rather than super skills. This was a popcorn flick, but a good one. There were a couple of times where the plot relied on coincidence. Not a terrible amount and predictably in the first act, but there nonetheless.

Directing: 2/3. Like I said, it wasn't bad, it wasn't great. It was a good film and I liked it well enough but probably not enough to buy it. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel but (as with all sequels), the story will be hard to do.

Production: 1/2. Good story, good cast. Vikander as Croft was an excellent choice.

Comments

Popular Posts