Ant Man & The Wasp

Going in: I heard good things and it took a lot of effort to avoid all the buzz, but I did it! I just watched the trailers. I think it'll be a 7.

Popcorn: 8/10. I'd see this a couple of times. I'm on the fence between rent/buy but I'll probably end up buying it because it's a Marvel movie. I'm also on the fence about it being a 7 or 8. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt here because I think it's still pretty good.

Art: 7/10. Great story and acting with everything standing up behind it. Some good music scores and some good, fun scenes.

Acting: 3/3. Every year, I'm impressed by up and coming actors. I'm writing this 3 weeks after I saw the movie (I can get distracted with all that's going on). Young Hope. I can still her some of her reactions even now. Amazing.
Music: 2/2. There was thematic movie even though it didn't build the emotion. During the third act, this score came across that communicated very clearly "You're going to have fun with this." Yep.

Filming: 1/2. Filming was okay. Not great, not bad.

Art Dept: 1/2. Same with the Art Production/CGI. It was good, but not amazing.
Editing: 1/2. Editing wasn't bad.
Story: 3/4. I watched this with my wife and she said that a big theme was "reintegration". I think that's part of it, but only towards the end. I think the big thing is "how can I do the right thing and not hurt people close to me". The characters were flawed and well rounded. You could feel the push/pull the main character was going through. B/C plots tied up nicely and related to the main plot. Dialogue was okay but snappy (save anything with Michael Pena). At this point in my life, I could relate to Scott - about screwing up and trying to walk that line. There was some coincidence but not a whole lot.

Directing: 2/3. This was a pretty good movie with a lot of room for the actors. I think the other departments didn't quite get a ton of room but enough to make the movie enjoyable.

Production: 1/2. Good story worth watching. Within the MCU, it answered some questions but also created some that revolve around the next Avengers movie.

Comments

Popular Posts