12 Strong

Going In: 6 & 7. I read some headlines and the general consensus was a pan, that it was okay. It sounds like a typical war movie. I expected it to be okay story-wise, but predictable. The tension would be mediocre but it would be really good if they didn't miss the opportunity to ramp up the tension. I also expected some moments where the DP could shine. It'll probably be something that my son would really want to watch.

Popcorn Score: 7/10. Let me be clear, I thought this was a good movie. That said, I don't think I would watch it again. This is a fairly intense movie and the subject matter is pretty heavy. It it not light and fluffy. I'm on the fence about buying it. I probably won't, but I expect that my son would.

Art Score: 7.5/10. This was a good movie and I'd recommend seeing it or at least renting it. For a director's first major outing, this was done really well.

Acting: 2/3. The acting was not bad and there were some moments, when I look back on them, that I'm glad they cast as they did. There wasn't anything that popped though. I will add to that - Michael Pena does a really good job.

Cinematography: 1/2. There were some absolutely beautiful shots in this movie. There were some frames that the lighting was done very well, adding to the story and creating just the right amount of drama. I was hoping they wouldn't waste the opportunity to take advantage of the landscape and they did a fine job.

Music: 1/2. Nothing was out of place. But there wasn't anything that brought the music to the forefront either.

Art/CGI/HMC: 1/2. No complaints against any of the production design. If I could take a half-point away from CGI, I would. There was a single scene where the CGI was obvious and unnecessary. It really stuck in my craw.

Editing: 1/2. No surprises here.

Story: 4/4. I had to give the full points to either the story or director. I landed on story. This movie was intense throughout most of it. They do not waste much time and dive right in. The pacing was incredible - such that, when we got to the final act, I thought we had another act to go and was a little exhausted at the thought. But they handled it nicely and crafted a good story. The theme wasn't subtle but it didn't beat me over the head either.

Directing: 2/3. This almost got full marks. Almost but not quite. The movie was good. A couple of departments got to shine. But it just wasn't quite there. Almost though. I'm really looking forward to what the director does next.

Production: 1/2. Story worth telling. It makes for a good movie.

Comments

Popular Posts