The Greatest Showman

Going in: I've read that most of the songs were amazing, that the story left out the darker parts of PT's life, and that it was okay but not great. I'm expecting that I'll be okay seeing it once and want to rent it. Probably wouldn't buy it. The acting will be really well done in most places. The cinematography will be okay but not great. The set design and costuming will be pretty good. The music will be done well. Everything else I'm expecting to be meh. I'm saying a 6 and 7.5 going in.

Popcorn Score: 8.5/10. In terms of entertainment, The Greatest Show delivers on a lot of levels, seeking to bring the greatest showman's greatest show to you - as a show. I expected it to be ho-hum as so many musicals have been in the past. My first thought as the opening credits were starting was I'm in good hands. This is going to be a feel-good movie and music is going to be most of the story. And from that perspective, it did not disappoint.

I expected that it would be a typical movie - I'd see it, be happy, and maybe rent it. But that expectation was exceeded from the start. I'd like to see it with my daughter or wife and I will rent it. Buying is on the table, but only if all the family enjoys it. So, it went from a 6 to an 8.

Art Score: 8/10. It's a solid movie and musicals don't thrill critics. But there were some great moments in terms of music and cinematography. Those two elements really got a chance to shine.

Acting: 2/3. It's difficult to assign a score because most of the acting comes through the song. There weren't too many times I was pulled out of the movie. There was plenty of emotion (and in one case no emotion, but that was true to the character). It was good, but not great.

Cinematography: 2/2. I like to see an artist shine and look for one or two moments where they get it. It happened in American Made with the editing where the way it was spliced was a flare of art and then we were back to normal. It was like watching a sense-popping bass solo. This happened in a few scenes and they took advantage of the musical to play with it. Well done, movie.

Art/Costume/Hair & Makeup/CGI: 1/2. They did well enough. It was all appropriate for the time. The only beef I had was that some animals were notably CGI. Other than that, it wasn't a problem.

Music: 2/2. The first number caused me to start listening and the way it folded through the first sequence was truly amazing. The music served the story. It was outlandish, modern, and out of place. Everything you would expect PT to want. The music was the story. It was very well done.

Editing: 1/2. I was about to say there was nothing noteworthy, but there was one composite in a scene that made me go "Whoa!". It was unexpected and pretty cool. I don't remember seeing it before but I swear it looks practical instead of digital. Other than that, not much here.

Story: 4/4. This was hard for me. The story was predictable and used some familiar tactics. But. On the other hand, you can't ignore the part that the music played in telling the story. So, combining them, it's a full score. By itself, eh. I'm really giving more weight to the music here but I think it's worth it.

Directing: 2/3. Yeah, he pulled it off. I would say it doesn't shine as brightly as it could, but musicals are hard. It's not La La Land, and it's not a hard-core musical like Les Mis. The thing it reminds me most of is Hamilton.

Production: 2/2. Full score here. There's an irony to taking the greatest show on earth and making it a show. It was consistent and I think in memory of Barnum it wouldn't be done any other way as well.

Comments

Popular Posts