A Wrinkle in Time

Going in: I'm not expecting much. I saw a play that was really done well so I'm expecting this to disappoint a little bit. I did read a review but I honestly forget whether it was positive or negative.

Popcorn: 6/10. It wasn't bad, just not my style of movie. It didn't capture the imagination much as it showed us everything.

Art: 7/10. There were some areas that I think could've been done better but watching the kid actors was worth it. The CGI was pretty good but, I don't know, I respected it more than I was in love with it.

Actors: 3/3. Kid actors. Amazing. All I'm gonna say. Chris Pine was good but the younger actors kept right up with him and even surpassed him some ways. Deric McCabe is the one to watch as well as Storm Reid.

Music: 1/2. My daughter pointed out that the lyrics tracked with the story, but I'm more moved by the music and that's what was missing. It just didn't move me much.

Cinematography: 1/2. It was a good palette, a little too much at times. The film's main strength was the actors and the CGI, which usually downplays the DP a bit.

Art Department: 2/2. I'm going to give full props here. I didn't like the colors but I can appreciate the costuming and makeup effort. It was pretty imaginative. The production design sticks out in the lab and it's really well done. And again, the CGI - while not my cup of tea - was still beautiful and nice.

Editing: 1/2. Normal editing in where it was invisible. Pacing was predictable (good thing) but nothing creative.

Story: 2/4. I struggled with this one. There's a clear theme from the source material. The characters were interesting. My chief problem is that there was some missed opportunity to let us imagine. And I felt that. Everything seemed fairly predictable and the reaction to the misses' were pretty unrealistic.

Directing: 1/2. The CGI and actors were good but I get the feeling that the actors put in a lot of the work just because not much else seemed to shine.

Production: 1/2. There were things I wanted to see from the source material. I think it was still put together but I didn't agree with the casting of Oprah. The kids were the exact right ones.

Comments

Popular Posts