Hotel Artemis

Going in: This wasn't even on my radar, but I haven't seen Jodi Foster in a long time. Plus Dave Bautista is usually good as a supporting character. An all around good cast. 

Popcorn: 7/10. I waffled between a 7 or an 8, but there were just enough mistakes to keep it at a 7. If I get the chance, I'd see it once or twice. Probably not a buyer though. Most of my 7's are okay movies but this one was more enjoyable. It just had so many mistakes.

Art: 7/10. Great acting and production design. This film had a lot of potential but what dragged it down was some bad sound editing, cliche characters, and cheesy dialog.

Acting: 3/3. Jodie Foster really took the lead here. I like Sterling Brown (I saw him in Marshall and Black Panther - the man can emote. And I think his eyes do it subconsciously) but Foster just has more experience. Bautista was as expected; I don't think he's leading material, but I really like the roles that he's played.

Music: 1/2. There was a bit of space where they used the soundtrack music to reflect what was in Nurse's head. It was subtle and I really liked it. There just wasn't enough of it to rise to the level of "sterling".

Filming: 1/2. It was okay and I liked how they did some of the shots. But again, while it was good, it wasn't fantastic.

Art Dept: 2/2. This goes to the Hotel Artemis itself. It was really good and they struck a good balance of "dirty" and "future". I really enjoyed the old-time hospital feel (being someone who's worked there). The macro-CGI was what you would expect. I noticed some micro-CGI that they did a good job with.

Editing: 1/2. Sound editing missed one spot where the thud of an object was out of sync and some mouth/speech that was off. That took me out of the movie for a minute or two. Each time. It actually upset me. On the plus-side, there's some close up work that they did that was well done. If the errors hadn't been there, I would've considered a 2.

Story: 2/4. There was some theme about family, about living in the day-to-day and getting stuck there. The plot and sub-plots tied together well if not a little cliche. Characters were flawed and there's an arc for some of them (although I think they missed a chance to have an arc for the others). The characters were believable and the plot wasn't driven by too much coincidence. But the dialog. Oh. My. There was so much cheesy, on-the-nose dialog and I'm the guy who can't usually pick it up. While the characters were believable, I had a few moments where I rolled my eyes because they were so cliche. It was frustrating because there was enough there that could have been something.

Directing: 2/3. I liked this movie; I think they missed some opportunities though and made some sloppy mistakes. But the acting and the parts that were good made it enjoyable.

Production: 1/2. This had some real potential. I think the writing could have been a lot better so most of the right team was there. The problem is that it was written and directed by the same person. Interesting enough, this felt like a big-screen movie. I can't say why, but it was the right medium.

Comments

Popular Posts