BlacKkKlansman


A PERSONAL NOTE: This is a really good movie but I left angry. This movie is about racism, stereotyping, and even white privilege. It's about how people use the Name of God to justify their positions and there are times where I was physically ill. If you believe that it's not that big of a deal, that it's probably true for the 70's but not for today, then you need to see this movie with an open mind, with a better mind.

I'm a white male, was raised white, but was raised that everyone mattered. To my knowledge, I never experienced stereotyping. Last year, I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. All of sudden, some people who I've known for years decided that means either I'm limited in my intelligence or that I must have some sort of super brain.

Since that time, I've talked with friends that are Black/African American. We trade stories and I made a profound realization that applies to racism, sexism, racial/cultural ignorance, and mental illness/disability. If something doesn't happen to you, you assume it's either overemphasized or non-existent. I know because that's what I did with white privilege and I see others doing it as well.

But it's a real thing. The movie portrays how it happened in the 70's and regardless of what propaganda you swallow, it still happens today. This movie is a really, really good reminder of that.

Going in: I haven't read any reviews or anything. It's been out for almost a month and it looks like the typical slowdown so I'm going to see it before it disappears.

Popcorn: 9/10. This is a good, enjoyable movie. It's truly well done and I loved it. There's a lot of heart and a lot of fun in it without diluting the message.

Art: 9.5/10. This is the highest score I've given a movie, but it just nails all the right points.

Acting: 3/3. I don't know if it was CGI, but in the very beginning of the movie, the actor's eye twitches when he's being asked uncomfortable questions. It was a really nice touch. Everyone did a great job. I loved Adam Driver and think the nailed the character.

Music: 1/2. Standard fare for music (which I think is the most underused art within cinema). There was some nice cultural pieces that fit in but no orchestration that built.

Filming: 2/2. This film had me hooked in the first 5 minutes. They played with some of the lighting and I'm not sure it was on purpose, but during Baldwin's spiel at the beginning, it looks like he's wearing a hood.

Art Dept: 2/2. This was a period piece and as such it was a little bit harder to tell since it was set in the 70's. But everything flowed smoothly.

Editing: 2/2. There was one scene where they punctuated the dialog with cut shots. It was simple but pretty effective. And a nice way for the editor to say "I'm here". There were a couple times I wanted to check my watch so some pacing issues but nothing too distracting.

Story: 4/4. This movie, big surprise, is about racism, about the ugliness that goes with it, and about the spectrum people live under in dealing with it. Everything related to that theme. The characters were well placed and, like the story, the two main characters shared some of the leading parts: Washington was the protagonist, but Driver was the access and change. He had the stronger internal arc. This didn't rely on formula but was well structured and well told.

Directing: 3/3. This is Spike Lee we're talking about. Everyone had a real shot to shine and everyone came through. It was a very well put together movie.

Production: 2/2. Story well worth watching with the right crew assembled. It's funny that even though it was mostly small screen elements, I can't imagine this being done anywhere else but the big screen.

Comments

Popular Posts