White Boy Rick

Going in: I've only seen the trailer. Everything hinges on the kid actor. It should be good.

Popcorn: 7/10. This was a pretty good movie. There were some moments where it was heart-wrenching but also some lite moments. I'd watch it again if time permitted but I'd probably only rent it. I don't see myself watching it over and over again. It's a good movie.

Art: 8/10. This is a good movie with some pretty good highlights in it. The strengths are in the acting and cinematography.

Acting: 3/3. Great crew. Matthew McConaughey is always a treat. Newcomer Richie Meritt was also great. I liked Bel Powey as well. All of them had some subtely that was done well and also the emoting was really good.
Music: 1/2. The music was catchy but for the life of me, I can't remember any of it. It also didn't set the mood except in the lighter places.
Filming: 2/2. Oh yes. In particular at the end, there was some really well placed shots that messed with the depth of field that added some depth to the movie.
Art Dept: 2/2. There was a scene in Las Vegas that the art department did a really good recreating - or at least giving the feel of it. It was impressive and there was some attention to detail that was obvious.
Editing: 1/2. The editing was done fairly well. There were some places where I realized I hadn't even thought about pacing. But at the same time, there was ADR where I was sure I didn't see the actress's lips move.
Story: 3/4. This movie has a lot about family. It's the biggest motivation that the main character has. A lot of the subplots are about family relationships and they tie in pretty nicely. Characters are believable. I kept thinking the dad would die but he didn't. The actual story was much more satisfying. It was a good story that hit all the beats but not anything that was stellar.

Directing: 2/3. This was a good movie with a lot of talent and some new talent as well. It showed in the quality of the work.
Production: 1/2. This was a good movie that was adapted for the big screen. Although, aside from the ending, I'm not sure needed to be told on the big screen.

Comments

Popular Posts