First Man

Going in: Heard it was meh. IMDB was a 7.7.

Popcorn: 7.5/10. I really enjoyed it. If you love biopics, you'll probably enjoy it too. I saw it in IMAX and think it was worth it. There's a lot of subtle creaks and groans that lend itself to the dangers of space exploration.

Art: 8/10. This was a beautiful movie and told the way we've come to expect from Chazelle. You'll see it reference, but the irritating thing was the amount of closeups.

Acting: 3/3. Awesome acting. Ryan Gosling is always good but I got my first performance with Claire Foye and I was not disappointed.
Music: 1/2. For a while there was a musical theme that was building but it got lost by the end of the movie. It added a lot and I wish I could remember it.

Filming: 1/2. Okay. There were some really outstanding shots. But there were so many closeups, it took me out of the movie.

Art Dept: 2/2. Really well done. It was a period piece that had things down to small details - including an older game of Life in the background.

Editing: 1/2. The editing was pretty good. No missed beats. I feel there were some shots where he could have lent a little more chaos to the moment.

Story: 4/4. This was a well told story where action was the directive. A look here, there. The way a person responded told more than the actual dialog. Everything related to something else and it was very emotional to the point of being uncomfortable but you could tell that was kind of the point.

Directing: 2/3. Mostly good. The one thing that really gnaws on me is the use of closeups. But other than that, it was pretty good.

Production: 1/2. This was well told and enjoyable. In some places, you needed the massive theater to take in what they were seeing. But the massive use of closeups didn't really add much (especially on an IMAX screen).

Comments

Popular Posts